Skip to main content

Hume City Council

  1. This serves as a general guide; however, please directly contact the council for the most up-to-date information as regulations may change periodically.

Hume City Council – 03 9205 2200

Hume council includes:

Attwood, Broadmeadows, Bulla, Campbellfield, Clarkefield, Coolaroo, Craigieburn, Dallas, Diggers Rest, Fawkner, Gladstone Park, Greenvale, Jacana, Kalkallo, Keilor, Meadow Heights, Melbourne Airport, Mickleham, Oaklands Junction, Roxburgh Park, Somerton, Sunbury, Tullamarine, Westmeadows, Wildwood and Yuroke.

Tree Pruning & Removal Regulations in the City of Hume

In the City of Hume, regulations governing the pruning and removal of trees are outlined in the local Planning Scheme. To determine which regulations apply to your property, you can access a map through the provided link. It’s important to note that certain zones carry stronger tree protection measures, including:

  1. Native Vegetation Precinct Plan (NVPP)
  2. Heritage Overlay (HO)
  3. Environmental Significance Overlay (ESO)

These overlays can coexist, meaning your property may be subject to multiple restrictions. Typically, pruning for maintenance purposes, without significantly altering the tree’s size or shape, is allowed within these zones without a permit. However, removing trees generally requires a permit.

Council Approval: According to the Hume Council website, you typically won’t need a planning permit to remove a tree on your property. However, you may require consent from the Council. The main distinction between a permit and Council consent is that permits involve an application fee. In both cases, you’ll need to submit a request to the Council that addresses key questions:

  • Is the tree native to Victoria?
  • Is the tree part of the original garden landscaping or shown on endorsed plans?
  • Are there any tree controls specified on your Certificate of Title?
  • Are there any tree controls outlined in developer’s estate guidelines?
  • Are there any conditions on your planning permit that protect vegetation?
  • Is your property larger than 4000 square meters?

Requests for Council consent will also necessitate certain documents, including your name and contact details, property address, a property plan indicating tree locations with dimensions and heights, a description of the tree species, and an explanation for the proposed tree removal.

Contact the Council: If you believe you require a Planning permit, it’s advisable to communicate with the Council directly before submitting your application. This ensures you confirm whether a planning permit is needed, saving you time and resources.