Skip to main content

Whitehorse City Council

  1. This serves as a general guide; however, please directly contact the council for the most up-to-date information as regulations may change periodically.

Whitehorse City Council – 9262 6333

Whitehorse council includes:

Blackburn, Blackburn North, Blackburn South, Box Hill, Box Hill North, Box Hill South, Burwood, Burwood East, Forest Hill, Mitcham, Mont Albert, Mont Albert North, Nunawading, Surrey Hills, Vermont and Vermont South. 

Tree Removal Permit

Within the City of Whitehorse, several overlays have been established to safeguard trees and vegetation on both private and Council-owned land across the municipality. These overlays serve the purpose of conserving and improving the overall landscape within Whitehorse. Under specific overlays, activities such as tree removal, lopping, pruning, and work within 4 meters of trees may necessitate obtaining a planning permit.

New tree controls have been recently sanctioned, and they are now applicable across the entirety of the City of Whitehorse. These controls encompass most residential areas, introducing various degrees of tree protection. This influence extends to trees on private property as well as street trees.

For up to date information and guides on Whitehorse PERMITS – Click Here

Note: This information provides assistance and offers a simplified overview for individuals seeking to apply for a permit.

If within a Significant Landscape Overlay (SLO), you will need a permit if the trees are:  

Aprotected tree is one that has a single trunk circumference of 50 centimetres or more, when measured 1 metre above ground level. 

If SLO 1-8, require permit to remove, destroy or lop a tree unless dead or dying.  

If SLO 9, permit is required to remove, destroy or lop a tree unless: 

  • A tree that has both:  
    • a height less than 5 metres; AND 
    • a single trunk circumference of less than 1.0 metre at a height of 1.0 metre above ground level.  
    • A tree that is less than 3 metres from the wall of an existing Dwelling 
    • Dead or dying 
    • Environmental Weed species: 
    • –  Box Elder (Acer negundo)  
    • –  Cape Wattle (Paraserianthes lophantha)  
    • –  Cherry Plum (Prunus cerasifera)  
    • –  Cootamundra Wattle (Acacia baileyana)  
    • –  Cotoneaster (Cotoneaster spp.)  
    • –  Desert Ash (Faxinus angustifolia)  
    • –  Hawthorn (Crategus monoyna)  
    • –  Mirror Bush (Coprosma angustifolia)  
    • –  Privet (Ligustrum spp.)  
    • –  Radiata or Monterey Pine (Pinus radiata)  
    • –  Sallow Wattle (Acacia longifolia)  
    • –  Sweet Pittosporum (Pittosporum undulatum)  
    • –  Willow (Salix spp.)  

Tree Pruning

We can trim deadwood and risky branches according Australian Standard to make safe. 

Dead or dying or has become dangerous:

Send a photo of the tree to for the council to make an assessment of whether it is dead, dying or dangerous, or whether a permit is required. (Unlikely to get permit to remove tree if the tree is still healthy even if it is dropping branches.)

Neighbouring trees 

Sometimes, neighbours may have conflicts about trees. It’s essential to keep talking and understand each other’s concerns. Some folks love trees and the wildlife they bring, while others might worry about tree safety. Don’t ignore your neighbours worries. You can consult an arborist for advice on pruning or checking a tree’s health. Keep in mind that some types of pruning or cutting down trees might need a permit.

If a tree branch goes over your property line, don’t just chop it off at the fence. This could be considered lopping, and it requires a permit for many tree species. It might also cause unwanted new growth. Try to get permission from the tree owner to prune the tree back to the trunk.

If your trees or shrubs grow onto the area between the road and your property (the nature strip), you’re responsible for trimming them so people can safely use the sidewalk. You can find more info on the Naturestrips web page.

Tree roots are essential for tree stability. If your neighbour cuts your tree’s roots and it falls, they might be responsible. But if your tree’s roots damage your neighbours property, you might be held accountable. Talk to your neighbour and work together to resolve these issues. It’s better for the tree and your neighbourly relationship in the long run.

Remember, the Council can’t step in to settle disputes between neighbours, but you can reach out to the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria for help and guidance.

More Information

Trees on Private Property 

Tree Controls, Removal, Lopping and Pruning 

See Weed Trees for photos: 

Application to remove one tree (VicSmart) 

Tree Removal within the Significant Landscape Overlay