Skip to main content

Yarra Ranges Council

  1. This serves as a general guide; however, please directly contact the council for the most up-to-date information as regulations may change periodically.

Yarra Ranges Council – 1300 368 333 

Yarra Ranges council includes:

Badger Creek, Beenak, Belgrave, Belgrave Heights, Belgrave South, Big Pats Creek, Cambarville, Chirnside Park, Chum Creek, Clematis, Coldstream, Dixons Creek, Don Valley, Emerald, Fernshaw, Ferny Creek, Gilderoy, Gladysdale, Gruyere, Healesville, Hoddles Creek, Kallista, Kalorama, Kilsyth, Launching Place, Lilydale, Lysterfield, Macclesfield, Matlock, McMahons Creek, Menzies Creek, Millgrove, Monbulk, Montrose, Mooroolbark, Mount Dandenong, Mount Evelyn, Mount Toolebewong, Narre Warren East, Olinda, Powelltown, Reefton, Sassafras, Selby, Seville, Seville East, Sherbrooke, Silvan, Steels Creek, Tarrawarra, Tecoma, The Patch, Three Bridges, Toolangi, Toorongo, Tremont, Upper Ferntree Gully, Upwey, Wandin East, Wandin North, Warburton, Warburton East, Wesburn, Woori Yallock, Yarra Glen, Yarra Junction, Yellingbo and Yering. 

Tree Removal Permit

To remove, destroy, or lop any indigenous vegetation or substantial tree, a permit is required. A substantial tree is one with a diameter at breast height (DBH) exceeding 0.16 meters at 1.3 meters above the ground (equivalent to a circumference of 0.5 meters at breast height).


  • Lopping for vegetation regeneration.
  • Removal of dead vegetation.
  • Partial removal of branches overhanging dwellings, garages, or outbuildings, provided they aren’t overhanging or within 2 meters of the building.
  • Removal of vegetation within 2 meters of a building.
  • Species listed in the Shire of Yarra Ranges Environmental Weed List – Clause 22.05.

If you believe your tree(s) pose a danger:

  1. Review the information on tree removal [link provided].
  2. Check if any exemptions apply.
  3. Contact us at 1300 368 333 for more details if needed.
  4. If your trees aren’t exempt, complete the online tree inspection form and pay the inspection fee ($220 for the first tree, $95.50 for each additional tree).
  5. A qualified arborist will assess the tree(s) and provide a report. Council will share the report and any recommended actions. A planning permit isn’t required for recommended works.

For properties in Bushfire Prone areas:

  • You can clear vegetation around your home for bushfire protection under the state government’s 10/30 right without a planning permit, if your house was built before September 10, 2009, or if a permit for its construction was issued before that date. This applies to all trees within 10 meters of your house and vegetation within 30 meters of your house.

More Information

For further details and resources, please follow the provided links.

FAQ’s –